Our bus to Entebbe leaves at 3 so I'm off very soon. Going to Kenya tomorrow which is very exciting and will be staying in a nice hostel in Nairobi before a 6am start and then starting our climb up mountain kenya. It is meant to be beautiful and after speaking to other travelers who have climbed it I am SO excited/nervous and I fully expect to fall off.
High points- Aidah our headmistress took us to the tailors in town for measurements as a surprise/goodbye present. She had us made some traditional Ugandan Gomez's which are one of the ugliest dresses I have veer seen but i actually kind of like it and it was the thought that counts. Alice and I were presented with them at our goodbye ceremony and subsequently forced to dance in them. It was really touching because she is a poor Ugandan woman and the dresses can cost up to 40,000 shillings each (10 pounds) which is a LOT. We did photo shoots with the teachers which we then gave to them as goodbye presents. They absolutely love photos out here although they never smile in them, instead they always look out into the distance with a mysterious expression..v.weird.
- Giving our 3 favorite teachers their own pair of 'goggles' (sunglasses)
- We had dinner with the nuns who run the compound and although we were all dreading a night of boring religious chat, they actually surprised us with a huge buffet and a crackin sense of humour. They also had 2 tvs which irritated us..
- Had my hair braided in a Ugandan salon with some pink streaks.. it looks interesting
- Driving out of Kaliro in a hired 4 by 4 car; first time wearing seat-belts in a long long time and it felt like the right time to leave and move on to our next adventure in KENYAAAAA
Me, Aida and Alice in our gomez's
Low points
- Ofcourse leaving Kasokwe was horrible. I found it hard leaving the teachers especially my favourite pregnant one who is about to pop- we really wished she had had it earlier because we live right next to the maternity ward! so annoying. And I teared up a bit when we told P2 we were never coming back and seeing their confused and dissapointed faces :( weep weep weep
- Living out of a rucksack is very miserable and involves constant wrestling with it every time I want to find some toothpaste at the bottom of my bag.
- Generally saying goodbye to people I know I will never see again
- Packing and then scrubbing our entire little house until it was fit for the next AV's next year. This involved removing ants nests which had formed in a pile of books.
- Never got to start our mural in the end. We wanted to paint the Kasokwe mango tree with childrens handprints for the leaves but we ran out of cash and time.
Thought I would do a different style of post this time. As I said the bus is leaving soon so Alice and I will have to hop on a boda boda in 5 minutes.


No comments:
Post a Comment